Monday, November 21, 2005

Hello, Sun

If there is one thing to be said for irregular sleep patterns, it's that it completely changes the way you experience times of day. It has been a long time since I have been awake at this time of day; recently my sleeping pattern has been something along the lines of six in the morning until three in the afternoon, and I had completely forgotten what mornings look like, beyond the cold hint of sunrise that tells you that you should be in bed at six. So here I am, writing a sociology assignment, and it's only now that I realise that I had forgotten what the mid-morning looked like.

Do I expect that to be some sort of profound insight?

Well, I suppose not. Consider, though, that someone who wears glasses is just a tiny bit more amazed by sight than someone who has always had perfect eyes. If you follow me on that, you can understand what I feel, because seeing the light outside at midmorning, like a warm blanket and a soft embrace, is something that I am appreciating right now, in its immediacy, much more than I ever did when I got up to go to school every day and looked out the car window without ever quite noticing it.

So though it does sound a little odd, I am experiencing morning in a way that is new for me. I am going to regret it later, when I will be reminded more strongly that I didn't sleep, but for now I would rather just enjoy the sensation.

I suppose that is a reasonable way to start a blog.



Peace. 

No comments: